Skip to content

Lavey survive late scare to beat Ballinderry  

Four years ago Lavey met Ballinderry in the quarter final of the Championship. At the time Lavey were reigning All Ireland champions and had just come of the back of a hard fought win over Slaughtneil.  Lavey went into the match massive favourites; however Ballinderry had other ideas and ended up winning the match and subsequently knocking the All Ireland Champions out of the Derry Championship.  When Ballinderry were drawn out as Lavey’s opponents in the first round of the 2014 championship the girls welcomed the draw seeing it as an opportunity to make amends for that 2010 defeat.

Under the management of Mary-Jo Boyle and Ryan Cushnahan the girls took to the field in Ballymaguigan with victory on their minds however they knew they had a hard 60 minutes of Camogie to play before this became a reality.

The game got of to a tense start with Ballinderry winning a free inside the Lavey half, which was slotted over giving Ballinderry the first score of the game and an early lead.  A short puck out was taken, Eimear Duggan won the breaking ball passing to Ceara Dougan who fed the ball into Mary O’Kane who was then fouled by the Ballinderry defender, Aoife Shaw made no mistake and slotted the free over the bar.

The Ballinderry attack came again with a Ballinderry forward making a dangerous run towards the goal, however Kathleen Taggart made an assured goal line save which came off a Ballinderry player and went wide.  A long range puck out was taken and was caught cleanly by Helen O’Neill in the Lavey  half forward line, Teresa McElroy finding herself in space called for the ball  and then put it between the posts putting Lavey a point up, however this lead was short lived as Ballinderry were awarded another free bring it to a draw again.


The ball was fed up through the field from the Lavey puckout, Mary O’Kane won the ball in the corner and powered through the Ballinderry defence striking it over the bar, making it 0-3 to 0-2 in Lavey’s favour.  Ballinderry took a short puck out, however it is won by Eimear Murphy who seeing Helen O’Neill free gave the pass resulting in another Lavey point.


Ballinderry pucked the ball out, it makes its way to the Ballinderry corner forward who ran towards the Lavey goal and hit a low powerful strike- Katrina Carmichael was in the right place and pulled of a great save putting it out for a ’45, which Ballinderry pointed, this would be their last score this half.  Lavey however kept challenging for scores, great teamwork from Mary O’Kane and Eimear Murphy give Lavey another score.

A challenge from behind on Ceara Dougan earned the Ballinderry number 15 a yellow card and Lavey get a free, Katie Taggart sends it up the field to the full forward line. Ballinderry won a free out which is struck directly to Mary O’Kane who blasted the ball past the keeper and gave Lavey the goal that had been coming 1-5 to 0-3, 3 minutes from half time.  Lavey ended the half with two points from frees from Attracta McPeake and Aoife Shaw.  A fantastic first half with great scores from the forwards, a defensive master class from our backs and a lot of hard work from Kerri Chivers and Edelle Henry in midfield sent Lavey in at half time with a 7 point advantage.

Shauneen McCann replaces Kerri Chivers at half time.

Lavey get off to a dream start after Mary O’Kane is fouled, the free taken by Aoife Shaw looked to be drifting wide, however Eimear Murphy was alert on the edge of the square and pulled the ball on the ground past the keeper; 2-07 to 0-3.

It seemed Lavey were cruising to victory, however Ballinderry kept applying the pressure to the defence, a dangerous ball was sent in and won by Ceara Dougan who pulled it out of danger.  A few minutes later Ballinderry won a short range free which is quickly taken and struck low and hard past an unsuspecting Lavey defence to give Ballinderry a goal, they then scored another goal from play almost immediately, leaving just a puck of the ball between the teams 2-07 to 2-06.

Lavey responded instantly with a handpassed goal from Helen O’Neill after Eimear Murphy had fought hard to win the breaking ball,  Ballinderry scored a point from another short free.  Helen O’Neill can find herself hard done by to have a legitimate hand passed goal ruled out for a suspected throw ball; fortunately this did not cost Lavey the victory as they survived a late 13yard Ballinderry free to see the game out by a goal.

Final Score: Lavey: 3-07 Ballinderry 2-07

A fantastic, hard fought performance from the girls, Lavey now face Slaughtneil in the semi-final on Thursday the 18th of September with the time and venue yet to be confirmed.

Team and Scorers:

Katrina Carmichael, Eimear Duggan, Kathleen Taggart, Irene Cushnahan, Alana McMullan, Ceara Dougan, Faoiltiarna Ward, Attracta McPeake (0-1f), Kerri Chivers, Aoife Shaw (0-2f), Helen O’Neill (1-1), Eimear Murphy (1-1), Teresa McElroy (0-1), Mary O’Kane (1-1), Edelle Henry, Shauneen Mc Cann (for Kerri Chivers at HT)

Photography courtesy of John Hughes


Leave a Reply