Published on May 7th, 2013 | by admin


Late goals maintain unbeaten minor league record

Old Thatch-Inn Derry Minor ‘A’ Football League

Lavey 2-19 Ballinderry 1-15

There was more than a hint of summer in the still Gulladuff air as near-perfect conditions resulted in a high-scoring encounter between the minor footballers of Lavey and Ballinderry.

Thirty-seven scores in approximately sixty-two minutes of football is serious shooting at any time of the year.

Conventional wisdom dictates that ‘in any shoot-out, it is usually the team with the superior fire power who wins out’. And so it proved.

With 1-07 from play and numerous assists, Lavey had the game’s most potent attacking threat in full-forward Niall Toner. Ballinderry’s Lee Martin did most for the opposition to challenge Toner for that title, producing moments of quality from start to finish in an impressive display.

The opening quarter saw the sides trade some fine scores, with points from Hughes, Downey, Duggan, McGurk and Toner for the home side, maintaining parity of 0-05 each after 16mins.

During the opening quarter you got the impression Lavey could push on if they got the breaks and dominated the middle sector. The gap which had threatened to open eventually emerged as McGill and Hughes gained control resulting in four points in three minutes sailing between the Ballinderry posts to put daylight between the sides with eleven minutes to the break.

With Martin responding with one of several superbly struck free kicks, another scoring burst from Toner; whose shot struck the bar and went over following fine tackling from midfielder Hughes, and Conor McGurk (2), gave Lavey a double scores advantage at half time; 0-12 to 0-06.

A feeling that the home side might have had one hand on the two points was given extra confidence as clever play from Shea Downey on the right hand touchline presented Niall Toner with the first point of the second half after only one minute of play.

However, in the twelve which followed, Lavey’s inability to deal with a more direct game meant the loughshore lads outscored the home side by 1-06 to 0-02 – the goal having come from a goalmouth scramble following a speculative high ball. And so, with the sides level at 0-15 to 1-12 after 43 mins, it was very much game on.

Tit-for-tat ensued until eight minutes from the end as Lavey registered a goal and a point within a minute. With the game to re-win, Toner’s cool finish underneath the approaching goalkeeper was the decisive strike in the contest. The game was finally put to rest two minutes later as Shea Downey weaved his way through the Ballinderry defence to goal on the second attempt. A Declan Hughes free was the last action of an encounter from which Lavey will take positives and also learn lessons.

Still, four games, four wins.

About the Author

Leave a Reply

Back to Top ↑

  • Bookings


    Postal Address
    Erins Own Lavey GAA, 56 Quarry Road, Maghera

    T: +44 (0) 28 7964 3202

    Centre Manager: Anne Graffin

    Chairman: Paddy Chivers

    Secretary: Helen O’Neill

    PRO: Dermot McPeake